We seek a proven leader in Medicinal Chemistry for our Boston research facility. The candidate will be responsible for leading, motivating and developing a team of approximately 5-10 highly skilled PhD, MS, and BS medicinal chemists in the areas of early drug discovery and lead optimization. Additional responsibilities may include project chemistry team leadership. The position will report directly to the Head of Medicinal Chemistry.
The ideal candidate will bring broad medicinal chemistry expertise to the department and will be expected to develop strong and effective working relationships with drug discovery project teams and across functions in Research and Development. The candidate should be fluent with state-of-the-art drug design methods and will have a strong track record in medicinal chemistry as demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications and influence in the field.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing innovative & effective leadership in Medicinal Chemistry from lead generation through to drug candidates
- Developing strong design solutions to medicinal chemistry challenges in drug discovery
- Actively participating in the leadership team for the Boston Medicinal Chemistry function
- Ensuring high quality and effective interactions across functions in support of project goals and objectives
- Contributing to project and department strategic planning and intellectual property protection
- Ensuring the professional development of team members
- Formulating and delivering on project and department goals
- Planning and effectively employing external chemistry resources
- Identifying and/or leading external collaborations that support departmental or project objectives
- PhD (or equivalent degree) in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry
- 10+ years of industry experience with proven track record of advancing molecules into clinical development
- Experience leading medicinal chemistry teams
- Experience in strategic planning, team leadership, laboratory and budget management
- Demonstrated contributions in drug discovery as evidenced by a strong record of publications, external presentations, and patents
- A broad understanding of drug discovery and related disciplines (e.g. computational chemistry, ADME, material sciences, drug safety/toxicology, chemical biology, IP, etc.)
- Expertise in chemistry, especially as it relates to medicinal and synthetic chemistry
- Proven ability to champion and advance innovative concepts, particularly technology applied in medicinal chemistry and chemical biology
- Experience developing people and mentoring group members
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Associated topics: biochemistry, chemistry, coating, formulation, glass, latex, material, material science, polyurethane, rubber
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...