The Director, Medical Operations will lead a team of project managers to support the development and execution of the Medical Affairs Plans across all diseases at Vertex. This position will work closely with the Medical Leadership Team, Development and Commercial Planning Operations Teams and Global Strategy Team members to provide strategic direction and timelines for the delivery of the annual Medical Affairs Plans and highlight risks/timelines of projects within the plans. The role will provide oversight to a team that will provide operational support to cross-functional medical affairs team and oversee the planning and tactical execution of medical plans within the Global Medical Affairs (GMA) department. This individual will interacts with multiple functions within medical affairs (including global and regional medical directors, global medical information, medical communications) and others including health economics and outcomes research (HEOR), clinical development, real-world evidence, commercial, and regulatory departments. This role is a team leader role and this individual will develop and support team members to apply project management best practices in the development, initiation, planning, execution, maintenance, and closing of projects. This individual will highlight risks, timeline delays and other issues to management and governance teams.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee team that will support the development and execution of the Medical Affairs Plans
- Lead team to provide meeting management and facilitation support to Brand Medical Teams
- Lead the development of high quality medical plans, including product launch plans, and ensure alignment between overall program strategy and cross-functional plans.
- Establish team dashboards and key performance indicators and works with team to communicate program status through monthly dashboards and other reporting materials and proactively identify issues/delays. Includes collecting information and ensuring accuracy of reports.
- Develop and tracks medical plan projects; identify project contingencies.
- Regularly meet with stakeholders for project updates.
- Supports team for risk mitigation planning and elevates to management
- Monitors program budget/spending.
- Leads other department initiatives as needed.
- Applies project management best practices and processes.
- Support direct reports, provide coaching and actively participates in their development plans
#LI-NP1* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
- Bachelor s degree required
- 8+ years of experience in a pharmaceutical industry, including Medical Affairs Project Operations experience
- Drug Development knowledge with strong understanding of other functions relevant to the position which may include: Research, Pre-Clinical, Clinical, Commercial, and Regulatory
- A certification in project management is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience leading cross-functional teams in matrix environment preferred.
- Experience managing projects related to the launch of pharmaceutical and / or biotechnology products
- Proven program management skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities; adapt to new projects rapidly and effectively; employ good listening skills; build mutual trust and encourage respect and cooperation among team members
- Flexible and able to work independently to manage work priorities and follow tasks through to completion
- Thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient.
- Strong ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks
- Proficient with Project Management best practices and tools including MS Project
- Quick learner, goal oriented and results driven with excellent problem solving skills and ability to escalate issues appropriately
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, applied on a global or multi-national basis
Loading some great jobs for you...