Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a toxicologist with expertise in knowledge management and data sciences to join its Predictive and Investigative Safety Assessment team in Boston, MA. Predictive and Investigative Safety Assessment is a global function within the Preclinical Safety Assessment (PSA) department responsible for the design and conduct of comprehensive nonclinical safety programs to support discovery and advancement of novel therapies through the Research pipeline. PISA is also responsible for design and execution of investigative safety studies spanning preclinical and clinical development.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals uses cutting edge science and technology to perform robust assessments of novel therapies for the treatment of the most serious diseases with unmet medical need. Our culture enables individual empowerment where “We Wins”, “Fearless Pursuit of Excellence”, “Innovation is our Lifeblood”, and “Uncompromising Commitment to Patients” are more than just corporate values; they are part of our everyday lives.
Preclinical Safety Assessment scientists have a significant role in the drug development process beginning in early discovery and continuing through the entire drug development value chain resulting in successful registration and marketing approval. The incumbent for this position will be located in our global headquarters in Boston, MA and will design and lead strategies for management and utilization of toxicological and related knowledge supporting safety assessment for Vertex Discovery and Development programs targeting the root cause of serious diseases with high unmet medical need, encompassing small molecule modalities and novel nucleic acid therapeutics including gene-editing approaches.
- Develop toxicology knowledge management, data mining and visualization strategies/platforms to enable cataloguing and exploration of internal safety data
- Support mechanistic understanding of toxicological findings by application of text mining and semantic search approaches, biological pathway analysis and statistical analyses to internal and external data sources
- Collaborate with Modeling & Informatics and other key business partners to develop mathematical and (Q)SAR models for prediction of toxicology endpoints and anticipate critical safety issues
- Collaborate with colleagues in Pathology, DMPK, In Vitro Toxicology and Safety Pharmacology to integrate diverse data types and sources to support predictive and investigative toxicology efforts
- Work with the Global Information Sciences group to implement automated information processing, design application-specific dashboards and develop infrastructure to optimize data utilization and visualization
- Effectively communicate knowledge management and data analytics results to influence project team strategies
- Represent PSA on the Vertex Data Strategy Team
- Grow the PSA Data Analytics team as needed to support the growth of the Vertex global portfolio
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
- PhD in Toxicology, Pharmacology or a related discipline, with an emphasis in informatics, data mining/visualization or computational pharmacology/toxicology
- 3-5 years pharmaceutical or chemical industry experience managing and working with large diverse chemico-biological data sets, prior post-doc experience preferred
- Working knowledge natural language processing, text mining, relational databases and chemoinformatics techniques and software
- Effective problem solver who is highly organized with the ability to thrive and to lead in an environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to develop solid, long term relationships and the ability to influence others.
Loading some great jobs for you...